Meningococcal disease claims four lives this year
April 17, 2018 1:22 am
The meningococcal disease has claimed four lives so far this year in Fiji while there were two other suspected related deaths.
Health Minister Rosy Akbar has also confirmed there are 46 cases of the killer disease as of April 12th.
She says of these, 22 cases are laboratory confirmed and 24 are either suspected or probable cases with similar symptoms but not diagnosed by the laboratory.
Akbar says there have been 27 cases in the Central division, 16 in the West, one from the East and two from the North.
“As of April 12 all cases were in the age groups of below 19. Of these males accounted 63% while females accounted for 37%. The response to this outbreak has been done with wide consultations with local and international experts and follows international best practices in control for the outbreak. The current case numbers in 2018 include a cluster of cases reported from Navesau Adventist High School – a boarding school in Rakiraki.”
Akbar says the first case reported from Navesau was on February 28th and so far there have been ten cases reported from the school.
Students have been vaccinated with Menactra conjugated quadrivalent vaccine that has the capacity to address four different strains of men-C.
The Minister adds they’re working closely with the WHO and UNICEF to ensure effective implementation of the vaccination program that will allow around 345,000 young Fijians to prevent themselves from MEN-C.