Bill O'Reilly out after harassment claims
More than 50 sponsors have withdrawn ads from Mr O'Reilly's show
Taken from/By: BBC News
Report by: BBC News
Presenter Bill O’Reilly has been dropped from Fox News over sexual harassment claims, the company says.
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations… Bill O’Reilly will not be returning,” the network said in a one-sentence statement.
Mr O’Reilly has been on holiday since 12 April, and was photographed shaking hands with Pope Francis at the Vatican earlier on Wednesday.
More than 50 sponsors have withdrawn ads from his show, The O’Reilly Factor.
Pressure on Fox has mounted since recent reports that five women had received $13m (£10m) in payouts because of Mr O’Reilly’s behaviour.
The prime-time presenter, who has been with the US network almost since its inception, has denied all of the allegations.
The decision comes after an emergency meeting of the 21st Century Fox board, New York Magazine reported.
Fox broadcaster Tucker Carlson will be taking over Mr O’Reilly’s slot, the company said in a follow-up statement.
In an internal memo sent to 21st Century Fox employees, the company wrote that the decision had been made after “extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel”.
The letter – signed by Rupert Murdoch and his sons Lachlan and James – praised Mr O’Reilly as “one of the the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news”.
“We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news,” the statement continues, adding that they are committed to “fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect”.
« Back to Home« More World News